4.9. Recommendations arising from this Chapter
In any follow-on RETA, the following factors should be regarded as desirable
characteristics of the system to be developed, although it should be recognised
that not all may be achieveable.
- The development of DIAL will be facilitiated if three forms of
co-operation can be achieved:
- If a number of parties who wish to create complementary indexes can agree
to do so within a common framework (a `multi-threaded index') in which DIAL is
- If some means of obtaining voluntary collaboration from experts in
Internet indexing in particular subject areas, or for particular geographical
areas, can be obtained.
- If (although the primary language of the facility is English)
collaboration can be obtained from sites of legal indexing expertise in at
least major international legal languages such as Chinese, French, Russian,
Spanish, and German.
- DIAL facilities should be developed so as to be accessible by users in
DMCs who have low bandwidth Internet connections or only dial-up terminal mode
connections, by ensuring that the pages can be accessed by non-graphical
browser software (such as Lynx).
- An indication should be provided on sites indexed of whether they are